High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles! No. 504 (County of Nottingham) Squadron was formed on 26 March 1928 as one of the Special Reserve Squadrons of the Auxiliary Air Force or AAF. It was integrated into the AAF proper in 1936. Based at RAF Cottesmore (Rutland), 504 Squadron used a variety of light bombers before being re-tasked to fighters with the Hawker Hurricane in 1939. It subsequently became a Fighter Squadron. Currently no. 504 squadron no longer has a flying role, but as part of an Operational Support Squadron (OSS), the first role of 504 Squadron today is Force Protection. In December 2009, the MOD announced the closure of parent station RAF Cottesmore, 504's new location to be announced.